tires.

Moderators: spargo19, SteveThompson

Re: tires.

Postby Robin127 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:37 pm

Robin127 wrote:
T.Read wrote:I thought Heidenau was doing contingency this year? Seem to remember hearing about that.

It was advertised but it seems to have died a death.

Heidenau are offering contingency, I'd been looking in the wrong place for the info. If anyone is interested, go to http://heidenautires.com/node/359
Robin Scudder
AHRMA Road Race No. 127
Classic Oil Supply, Morris Lubricants, Mike Wells Racing, Lacey Ducati, Heidenau Tires
Robin127

Postby ryan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:27 pm

hey karsten,
Any feedback on the conties on the 750? Think they would fly on the rd? They have good sizes.
Ryan
AHRMA x76
F500

of course my snowblower has excellent transient throttle response...doesn't yours?
ryan

Postby RDTZGUY22 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:50 pm

I got about 20 laps total on our F750 bike with the conti's at RA........Its a new bike for me and was more or less just cruzing around on it. My initial impression is its not a bad tire. I had essentially no issues in the front but had a wandering-wallowing rear end at RA...however given some other circumstances it may not have been the tire completely. I spent some time talking with David Crussel and he always liked the fronts however he could not get the rears to work for him. While at Phillip Island the Conti guys told him anywhere from 22-40psi, seems like quite the spread to me. I also got some additional info stating the tires are HARD regardless of compound they are hard compared to others. The importer in the us stated these are still new tires going through changes....he had no real solid info on them at the time other than "some guys" have been happy with them.

I think they may work well with heavy bikes but not sure about lighter applications given you use the same sizes....however Joyce and THR have generally proven they work with lwgt racers....keep in mind those are the smaller sizes though too.

I also did not like the rear profile on the 130\90. It does not pull in much on a 3" rim leaving it tall and narrow compared to Dunlops and Avons which are somewhere around a 65-70 profile I think.....

Bottom line I really need to be on something I can push to tell you 100% but so far so good :D
Karsten Illg
www.framecrafters.net
AHRMA#4956

"Why bring a donkey to a horse race?"
RDTZGUY22

Postby NYCNorton » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:21 pm

I just did back-to-back weekends on the new 302 compound Dunlop KR145 rear tire on my 750 and I'm happy to say this thing rocks. It is a harder compound and needs a good warm-up lap, but when it's up to temp it sticks great and gives fantastic feedback (this is the 130/70 profile rear that superseded the KR164). I know the Dawg used the 110/80 KR145 front (I still used the little 825) and thought it was a fantastic combo.

Good to have the Dunlops back on the bike.
--Kenny Cummings--
Holmeslice

Minnovation Racing
Comstock Engineering
Colorado Norton Works
Left Coast Racing

http://www.nycnorton.com
NYCNorton

Postby spargo19 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:34 pm

Dunlop. Don't call it a comeback. :)

I tried the skinny little bridgestones at Grattan as well. While they seemed to stick OK, there wasn't a lot of structure to them, and I could feel them get awfully squirmy when I pushed the carcass hard. Was particularly disconcerting in that dip out of the last right before flicking left onto the front straight. I'll probably be switching back to Dunlops before Barber.

For whatever reason, Dunlop doesn't spec the 825 to run on a 1.6 rim like on my little bike, but I've had great luck with it on these rims.
Christopher Spargo
Owner and racer of many two stroke motorcycles, among other maladies...
spargo19

Postby WFO100 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:24 pm

I had a great view of Tim on the manx and Conti's go through that same corner chris, and he got way out of shape a couple of times (rear sliding). I spoke to him a little about the conti and he didn't seem real impressed with the rear, but i don't want to put words in his mouth. I was a few feet behind on the Honda with 2 year old dunlops and it was planted through there. It would still be nice to have a good vintage race tire option out there though.
Wes Orloff
BOT #100
AHRMA #74

I dig carnations, man.
WFO100

Postby Junk Yard Dawg » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:52 pm

My impression of the new Dunlop K145 front / Rear in Hard rear , soft front was very good. As Kenny stated , I also have 2 weekends with good results , and little wear. The rear should easily last 3 weekends. Last years rears were too soft, and could chew up in one session, about 8 laps. New compound fits my weight , heavy bod, heavy bike very well. I can get to slide a little, but feel under control. Playing around with the pressure some, but the front shows no signs of any wear, so maybe the pressure can be lowered some. Ran 34R/32F on Sat, dropped to 32R/30F Sunday and dropped 1 second, with a good nights sleep if that counts. Had to get moving Sunday, as those Pesky SP750 guys were a coming on Saturday. Looking forward to New Jersey in about 5 weeks. I think the tire choices we all have are basically your choice, as Hindu, Conti, Dunlop, and Avon all seem to have thier place. My experience with Avon was , now your up, and now your down !! But others seem to like them. Sticking to Dunlop now that we have decent conpound. With Buff, Ivan, & Bob all offering tires, it will be good for everyone concerned.

John Ellis
Junk Yard Dawg
5X F750
Junk Yard Dawg

Postby Big D » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Jerrett did the fastest lap at RA on a 750 Saturday with a Avon rear Kenny gave us. :D We have been happy with the Avons for nearly 20 years. For us they are still what works. The 750 bikes will last 2 to 3 weekends but the front on the class c bike front is gone in 1 weekend. Any good shop can get them from Tucker Rocky in two days. We are Avon guys.
Keith Martin
bigdcycle.com
214-339-2285
" There ain't no dark till something shines
I'm bound to leave this dark behind" TVZ
Big D

Postby phantom309 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:21 am

Im glad we have some choices now, specally when the competition steps the rear out on avons and lets you cruze to an easy win. :-) Ya as wes said I had a squirm under load with the rear. that was with 27 psi, so sunday went to 29 and was much better. front stuck like glue with 25 psi and 3lbs of rise.
As for my sickness for 2 weeks im being treted for lyme desease from a tick bit . my big concern is the sight I have lost in my left eye but doc said it shoud return over time. Time will tell if I make NJ. Riding at grattan was a so tough . thanks to everyone that helped me get through the weeks.
Tim Joyce
AHRMA 3054
Wera 12465 LT
D&D cycles
phantom309

Postby Big D » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:00 am

That last lap indecent was not the tires fault. Jerrett ran it off the track fair and square. Still pasted Hargis again but lost at the line. Best race we ever lost. :lol:
Ran it off the track and fast lap all in one. The boy was trying that's for sure.
Keith Martin
bigdcycle.com
214-339-2285
Big D

Postby phantom309 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:05 am

Big D wrote:That last lap indecent was not the tires fault. Jerrett ran it off the track fair and square. Still pasted Hargis again but lost at the line. Best race we ever lost. :lol:
Ran it off the track and fast lap all in one. The boy was trying that's for sure.

No I was talking about sat. at cresson when Ryan stepped the back out comming onto the front straight. sent him out in the peck weeds :-)
Tim Joyce
AHRMA 3054
Wera 12465 LT
D&D cycles
phantom309

Postby Big D » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:31 am

Tim, That was rider error all the way. Could not be the fine equipment their riding :lol:
Keith Martin
bigdcycle.com
214-339-2285
Big D

Postby phantom309 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:22 pm

Big D wrote:Tim, That was rider error all the way. Could not be the fine equipment their riding :lol:

those were some great Races, made me push my ass off. I only go 100% when I have too and that week I did.
Tim Joyce
AHRMA 3054
Wera 12465 LT
D&D cycles
phantom309

Previous

Return to Roadracing